Google
 

Thursday, August 9, 2007

Bonds Hits #756!

While this is a day late (sorry, I was busy yesterday), I want to send my congratulations to Barry Bonds on breaking Hank Aaron's career homerun record.

While I am certainly in the minority, I truly believe that Bonds' record is legit, regardless of whether or not we find out he in fact took steroids, HGH, or anything else.

We as baseball fans would be beyond hypocritical to ridicule and punish Bonds for doing what he did. Especially as fantasy baseball fans, we cherish statistics and that is exactly what makes baseball great. There are statistics piled upon statistics, and what Bonds did was simply give us another one, no matter in what form it came to us.

For anyone who thinks that Cal Ripken Jr. did not take amphetamines and greenies to keep his streak going, you are kidding yourself.

Or how about Hank Aaron? Do you mean to tell me he NEVER took a Greenie? I highly doubt that. Steroids and HGH were no more illegal while Bonds was taking them as Greenies were, in regards to MLB policy. As far as MLB's drug policy went, these players did nothing wrong and were completely within the rules. I am not saying that the law governs all -- to me, the "Law" is the least common denominator of how one should behave him/herself. There is no question that what Bonds did was ethically and morally wrong, but c'mon...half of the entire Hall of Fame holds guys that did ethically and morally wrong things during their lives. Why are we going to fault Bonds?

He was a Hall of Fame player prior to steroids and HGH -- those two things don't change that fact in my opinion.

Kudos to Bonds. The new homerun king.

No comments: